Irregular Word Fluency, Bam!
|Activity Type: Build Accuracy|
|Activity Form: Game|
|Grade: 1, 2|
|Group Size: Small Group|
|Length: 15 minutes|
|Materials: Irregular word index cards (print them here), 5 index cards with the word BAM! printed on them, 1 sturdy gift bag|
|Goal: Given a printed irregular word, the student can say its sound with automaticity ( irregword -> "irregword" )|
|Items: All irregular words learned so far|
 What to do
- Before introducing the game, print all irregular words covered in class on sturdy index cards. Create 5 additional index cards with the word BAM! printed on them. If possible, laminate all cards. Place index cards, including the BAM! cards, inside a sturdy gift bag and mix them up.
- Now, you are going to play a game. You will pull a card out of this bag and read it aloud. I’ll go first. Demonstrate pulling a card out of the bag and reading it aloud to the class.
- Do you think you can do that too? Call on one student to come in front of the class and pull a card from the bag. Have the student read the word out loud. Is she correct? If the student is correct, have her keep her card. If she is incorrect, have her put her card back in the bag.
- When you are playing this game, you can keep your card if you are correct. You must put it back in the bag if you are incorrect. The people you are playing with will help you decide.
- Hold up a card with the word BAM! printed on it. Can anyone tell me what this card says? Call on a student to answer. What do you think you will do if you pull out this card? Let 2 or 3 students take guesses. If you pull BAM! out of the bag, you must put back all of your cards. Remember, do not put your BAM! card back in the bag.
- When the bag is empty, everyone must count their cards. The person with the most cards is the winner!
- If a student is struggling, call on him individually in order to ensure he gets practice with the skill.
- Observe small groups of students play the game. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.