Irregular Word Fluency, Surprise
|Activity Type: Build Fluency|
|Activity Form: Game|
|Grade: K, 1, 2|
|Group Size: Small Group|
|Length: 15 minutes|
|Materials: Irregular word cards, index cards, stickers, timer|
|Goal: Given a printed irregular word, the student can say its sound with automaticity (irregword -> "irregword").|
|Items: All irregular words learned so far.|
 What to do
- Before beginning the game, print Irregular Word Cards and glue them to index cards. Write the word "surprise" on five index cards. Decorate the surprise cards with stickers.
- Today we are going to play a game called Surprise. Everybody come stand in a circle. Good.
- I am going to go around the circle and show you words. When I get to you, read the word I show you. If you read the word correctly, you get one point. If you get the special surprise card, then you win two points! Show students the surprise card.
- When you earn points, you must keep track of them on your fingers. So when you earn one point, hold up one finger. If you earn another point hold up two fingers. The person with the most points when the timer goes off is the winner! Let’s read our words quickly so you can earn lots of points.
- Does anyone have any questions? Answer any questions.
- Set the timer for ten minutes and begin the game.
- Observe students. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.