Irregular Word Fluency, Word Potato
|Activity Type: Build Fluency|
|Activity Form: Game|
|Grade: K, 1, 2|
|Group Size: Whole Class|
|Length: 15 minutes|
|Materials: Irregular word cards, index cards, basket|
|Goal: Given a printed irregular word, the student can say its sound with automaticity (irregword ->"irregword").|
|Items: All irregular words learned so far.|
 What to do
- Before beginning the game, print Irregular Word Cards. Glue the words to index cards and laminate if possible. Place all the words in a basket.
- Today, we are going to play a game sort of like Hot Potato. Raise your hand if you know how to play Hot Potato. Good.
- Have students sit in a circle. This basket is going to be our “hot potato.” If you are the last one to hold the basket, then you must pick a word from the basket and read it out loud. If you get the word correct, you stay in the game. If you read the word incorrectly, you are out!
- Observe students. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.
 Related activities
- Irregular Word Fluency
- Irregular Word Fluency, Around the World
- Irregular Word Fluency, Bam!
- Irregular Word Fluency, Bingo
- Irregular Word Fluency, Line it Up
- Irregular Word Fluency, Memory
- Irregular Word Fluency, Password
- All Irregular Words Activities