Irregular Word II Activities
This page contains all the FreeReading activities for Irregular Words II. They are divided into Sequenced Activities and Supplemental Activities. You can click here to add your own supplemental activity.
Note: FreeReading also includes a sequence introducing less advanced irregular words. Click here for those activities.
About the irregular word II activities
Many of the most frequently occurring words in English are irregular, meaning that students cannot completely decode them by using the letter-sound correspondences they have learned.
This sequence builds on the earlier sequence Irregular Word Activities, which introduced 30 very common irregular words: was, of, the, to, you, I, is, said, that, he, his, she, her, for, are, as, they, we, were, be, this, have, or, one, by, what, with, then, do, and there. The present strand introduces students to 120 more irregular words, covering multiple new words in each session and greatly expanding their ability to read text fluently.
The objective of the Irregular Word II sequence of activities is to teach students to read an additional 120 high-frequency irregular words.
Students should have already learned the letter combinations (from the Letter Combination Activities) and should also know the VCe rule. Students should already be able to sound out and read words--such as each and use--that are often included on lists of high-frequency words. Irregular Word II activities emphasize truly irregular words.
Tips and tricks for teaching Irregular Word II
- One way to accelerate learning of irregular words is to print out flash cards for all the words (download them here), making additional copies for students to practice with at home.
- This sequence introduces six new irregular words at a time. If this is too rapid for your students, an alternative is to introduce three new irregular words each session, doubling the length of the sequence.
Irregular Word II resources
- Irregular word cards: Index-card sized printable copies of all the irregular words used in this sequence
The sequenced irregular word II activities
A Note on Lesson Deltas. If you're using an integrated instructional program such as IPID 101 that comes with a map, follow the lesson numbers in the map and ignore the deltas below. If you're using this sequence outside of a program map (e.g., you're creating your own program), take whatever lesson number you are at when you start this sequence, call that Lesson N, and add the deltas below to N to calculate the lesson number for each subsequent lesson -- i.e., if you are on Lesson 10 when you start this sequence, then the activities below labeled +14 should be included in your Lesson 24.
(Note: your .. into means all the letter sounds in the taught sequence from your to into; in this example, your, when, how, other, so, many, near, again, over, would, look, and into.)
Supplemental irregular word activities
- Irregular Word Fluency, Around the World
- Irregular Word Fluency, Bam!
- Irregular Word Fluency, Draw Two
- Irregular Word Fluency, Flashlight, Flashlight...
- Irregular Word Fluency, Line it Up
- Irregular Word Fluency, Memory
- Irregular Word Fluency, Musical Chairs
- Irregular Word Fluency, Smack the Wall
- Irregular Word Fluency, Surprise
- Irregular Word Fluency, Tic Tac Toe
- Irregular Word Fluency, Word Baseball
- Irregular Word Fluency, Word Hunt Tally
- Irregular Word Fluency, Word Potato
- Irregular word accuracy, Class Challenge
- Irregular words fluency, Speed Battle
- Let's Bowl!!
- My Pile, Your Pile