Letter Sound Accuracy, Beginning Sound Spin
|Activity Type: Build Accuracy|
|Activity Form: Game|
|Group Size: Small Group|
|Length: 14 minutes|
|Materials: Picture cards, (print them here), A spinner divided into 6 or 8 sections|
|Goal: Given a printed letter, the student can say its sound and say if a word begins with that sound ( a -> /a/,|
|Items: All letter sounds learned so far.|
 What to do
- Before introducing the game, take a spinner with 6 or 8 sections and label each section with a beginning letter to be reviewed. Print picture cards, and cut out at least four pictures for each sound on the spinner.
- Lay out all pictures face up near the spinner. Today we are going to practice our letter sounds. You will get a turn to spin the wheel. You must say what letter the wheel stops on and what sound it makes. Then you will need to find a picture that begins with that sound.
- Does anybody want to show us how to play? Call on two students with their hands raised. Give each student a deck of cards and let them begin to play in front of the class. Remind them of the rules and talk through the game as they play to reinforce the procedure to the class.
- Remember, when you are playing, it is your job to help the people in your group decide if their picture is correct or not.
- If a student is struggling, call on him individually in order to ensure he gets practice with the skill.
- Observe small groups of students play the game. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.
 Related activities
- Build Accuracy /a/, /m/
- Build Fluency /a/
- Build Fluency /m/
- Letter Sound Accuracy
- Letter Sound Accuracy, Egg Carton Game
- Letter Sound Fluency
- Letter sound fluency, student-led
- All Letter Sound Activities