What to do
- Select 12 picture cards for this activity. Any pictures of single-syllable words will do. As before, make sure the students know the expected name for each picture by going through the deck, multiple times if necessary.
- Now bring out the puppet. Here’s Mico. He is speaking funny today: instead of saying a word like fish, it comes out like this: fff-ish. Hold the onset for about a second, and don't pause between the onset and rime.
- We’re going to see if you can speak the same way Mico does. My turn first. What would Mico call this? Show a picture card such as leg. Lll-eg. Is that right Mico? Lll-eg. Right!
- Now it’s your turn. What would Mico call this? Show a picture card such as fox. Students: fff-ox. Is that right Mico? Fff-ox. Right!
- Let’s try another. Repeat with other picture cards. Watch for students who are not responding, and give them an individual turn.