|Activity Type: Build Fluency|
|Activity Form: Standard|
|Grade: K, 1, 2, 3|
|Group Size: Individual|
|Length: 30 minutes|
|Goal: Help students segment words at the phoneme level to build fluency and independence with this task.|
|Items: Letters, sounds, words, developmental spelling|
 What to do
- Identify a word that students would like to write or segment.
- (Teacher) Draw connected boxes (one box for each sound in the word). Note: You may have two letters in one box if they combine to make a sound that can't be represented by a single letter(sh, ch, oe, etc.)
- Say the word slowly and have the student(s) tell you what sounds they hear. Write the sounds in the appropriate boxes as they are identified.
- Guide the students through filling in any missing sounds.
 Related activities
- All Phonological Awareness, Letter Sound, Sounding Out, Word Recognition, Irregular Words, Advanced Phonics, Letter Combination, Spelling, Prefixes and Suffixes, Comprehension, Vocabulary, Fluency, Letter Writing, Writing Activities
 About this activity
This is an activity that is used in Reading Recovery to help early learners with developmental spelling.