|Activity Type: Build Fluency|
|Activity Form: Standard|
|Grade: K, 1, 2, 3|
|Group Size: Individual|
|Length: 30 minutes|
|Goal: Help students segment words at the phoneme level to build fluency and independence with this task.|
|Items: Letters, sounds, words, developmental spelling|
 What to do
- Identify a word that students would like to write or segment.
- (Teacher) Draw connected boxes (one box for each sound in the word). Note: You may have two letters in one box if they combine to make a sound that can't be represented by a single letter (sh, ch, oe, etc.)
- Say the word slowly and have the students tell you what sounds they hear. Write the sounds in the appropriate boxes as they are identified.
- Guide the students through filling in any missing sounds.
 Related activities
- All Phonological Awareness, Letter Sound, Sounding Out, Multisyllable words, Advanced Phonics, Letter Combination, Spelling, Writing Activities